Working out is more fun when you have your best friend by your side. If your best friend is your Great Dane, having the right leash for your strolls can make for a better experience for you both.
Great Danes, the gentle giants of the canine world, can stand as tall as 30 to 32 inches for males and 28 to 30 inches for females, according to the American Kennel Club. When standing on their hind legs, Great Danes are taller than most people!
With males weighing in at 140 to 175 pounds, 110 to 140 pounds for females, a Great Dane can be a workout on a walk. According to Mental Floss, Great Danes were bred to be hunters, so spotting a squirrel might mean instinct will take over, with your pet galloping after it.
If you’re searching for the best leash for your Great Dane, then read on.
Best Leashes for Great Danes
- Retractable leash
- Comes with LED light and Bluetooth speaker
- Can withstand pulling strength up to five times your Great Dane’s weight
- Ergonomic handle for comfort
- Streamlined belt outlet ensures frictionless operation
- Durable stainless-steel switch
- Attaches easily to leash or harness with nickel-coated bolt fastener
- Made from durable high-quality woven nylon
- Comes in a wide variety of colors and prints
- Features an easy-grip handle with a non slip surface for comfort and safety
- Avoid tangles with a leash that can move 360 degrees, thanks to a patented design
- Locks, unlocks, pauses and frees with the touch of a button
- Patented one-handed braking system
- The belt runs smoothly to allow your Great Dane to run
- Designed for the comfort of you and your dog
- Neoprene padded handle and wide belt design
- Sewn-in reflective strip for safety on evening walks
- Woven from reinforced nylon to resist rips and tears
- Attaches to your waist
- Stretches from 48 to 60 inches to allow your dog to explore
- Sliding metal clip allows your dog to change directions without tripping you
- Lighter weight chain provides strength and durability
- The leather handle is comfortable but sturdy
- Perfect for dogs who chew through nylon leashes
- Handcrafted in the U.S. from premium harness leather
- The hand loop is lined for comfort with soft, supple deerskin
- Heavy-duty brass swivel clip and brass rivets add to style and durability
Best Leashes for Great Danes
Consider the features that will serve you and your Great Dane best on your daily walks or runs. Here are nine leashes you and your furry friend are sure to love!
Best Tech Choice
This choice may be the cushiest of the bunch. The most expensive of our leash roundup, this Dogness model comes with everything you need to take your Great Dane on a walk. A retractable ergonomically designed leash, an LED light for evening walks, a Bluetooth speaker and even a convenience box for poop bags are included.
The leash benefits from thoughtful design. It’s comfortable to hold, making your walk more enjoyable, and the belt extends and retracts smoothly every time.
The Dogness Smart Retractable Dog Leash Kit is recommended for dogs weighing 120 pounds or less, so it is possible your Great Dane could outgrow this model.
- Includes an LED light for safety during evening walks
- A Bluetooth speaker adds fun to your steps
- The ergonomically designed handle is comfortable to hold
- Belt retraction is consistently smooth
- Most expensive option
- Only recommended for dogs 120 pounds or less
Best Retractable Leash
If you’d rather skip having the extras such as the Bluetooth Speaker and LED light, Dogness also offers its Smart Retractable Dog Leash on its own.
Made with stainless steel, this leash can withstand pulling strength of up to five times your dog’s weight. However, it is not recommended for dogs weighing more than 120 pounds, so this would be a choice best for Great Dane puppies and smaller Great Danes.
- Sturdy stainless-steel construction
- Can withstand up to five times dog’s weight in pulling strength
- More affordable Dogness option
- Not recommended for larger Great Danes
- Isn’t machine washable
Best for Affordability
Durable and functional, this leash is our most affordable choice. Woven out of high-quality nylon, the Frisco comes in a selection of solid colors. A variety of lengths and widths are available, but for a Great Dane, we recommend the 6-foot length and 1-inch width. This style won’t have the flexibility of distance like a retractable leash would, though.
Frisco’s nickel-plated bolt clip snaps onto collars and harnesses easily. Don’t worry about a little dirt – this choice is machine washable. It’s easily tucked into a tote for traveling, too.
- Woven with high-quality nylon for durability
- Easily cleaned
- Most affordable choice
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Length isn’t flexible
- The handle could be uncomfortable if your dog pulls against it
Best for Long Walks
For longer walks, you’ll appreciate the careful design of the handle of the Tug Nylon Tape Retractable Dog Leash. Designed for comfort, the handle also has a non slip grip. Tug’s patented design also allows the leash to move 360 degrees, keeping you tangle-free. It also will lock, unlock, pause and free quickly with the touch of one button.
This option might be a better option for young or small Great Danes. While comfortable and easy to use, this Tug leash isn’t recommended for dogs weighing more than 110 pounds.
- The ergonomic handle has a nonslip grip
- Designed for 360-degree leash movement to avoid tangles
- Fast locking from one button
- Recommended for dogs weighing 110 pounds or less
- Isn’t machine washable
Best for Energetic Young Great Danes
Designed for walking large canines, this Flexi-Giant model provides strength and durability in a retractable leash. The belt runs in and out smoothly, and this leash’s one-handed braking system makes controlling an energetic young Great Dane easy. Its ergonomic design makes the handle comfortable to hold during longer walks.
This model is designed for breeds weighing 110 pounds or less, so it may not be appropriate for larger Great Danes. Some reviewers have complained of weakness at the clip.
- The ergonomic design makes for comfortable use
- Belt runs in and out smoothly
- Designed for larger breeds
- Recommended for weights of 110 pounds or less
- Some reviewers report weakness at the clip
This Wileypup choice offers comfort and style. The padded loop is comfortable to hold, even on longer walks, and it comes in a variety of color combinations. A reflective strip is sewn into the belt for walks at dusk, providing extra safety.
Made from one strip of woven reinforced ripstop nylon, this model resists tears. However, at least one dog owner reported fraying after use.
- The reflective strip offers visibility and safety on evening walks
- Reinforced nylon makes this leash durable
- The padded handle is comfortable on long walks
- Length isn’t flexible
- Fraying has been reported
Best for Runners
The bungee leash lets you take your best friend on a walk, run or hike, keeping your hands free. Fastening to your waist, this leash expands from 48 to 60 inches, letting your Great Dane explore safely.
Two control handles let you pull your dog closer as needed for control and safety. Reflective material will keep you and your Great Dane visible on evening walks.
- Hands-free walking, running or hiking with your pet
- Hand controls allow you to quickly pull your dog close as needed
- Reflective material provides visibility for you and your pet
- Can be frayed by chewing
- Some reviewers say they’d prefer a shorter leash if their dog ran at heel.
Best for Leash Chewers
If your Great Dane can’t help but chew nylon leashes, consider the OmniPet Chain Dog Leash. With a comfortable leather handle, this is one of the most durable leashes available. If kept dry, this leash will last for many years of walks.
Its lightweight chain makes walks comfortable, and the handle is made from high-grade leather. However, some dog owners have written reviews saying the links may be too lightweight for larger breeds.
- A leash solution for dogs who chew through nylon models
- Durable with proper care
- Affordably priced
- Length is not variable
- May be too lightweight for larger breeds
- Pulling dog close
Best Classic Style
Harness leather makes this choice from Weaver Pet a classic. Its handle is lined with deerskin for a soft grip, and it provides durability and strength. A brass swivel clip and brass-plated rivets add to the style and function of this selection.
True to leather leashes, this model doesn’t tangle and provides control when needed. Dog owners reviewing this choice have said that the handle doesn’t burn or cut into their hands, which is a big plus for Great Dane owners.
- Durable and stands up to the strength and size of a Great Dane
- The classic style of leather and brass accents
- Resists tangling
- Dogs that like to chew might add extra wear and tear
- Like a leather baseball glove, this leash may require breaking in at first
Leash Buyer’s Guide
Everything you ever wanted to know about the best dog leashes for Great Danes is right here, conveniently corralled into one easy spot.
As you consider what’s best for you and your running buddy, think about these factors:
Type of Leashes
A leash is more than a bit of belt keeping your dog close by. This basic of canine gear comes in a variety of styles:
This model helps dog owners keep their best friends on a short leash when needed, or longer for running and exploring.
Perfect for runners and joggers, the bungee style attaches to the waist. These leashes stretch as needed so your Great Dane’s distance can vary as needed.
Few leashes are as durable as chain models. As long as they are kept dry, chain leashes will serve you and your Great Dane indefinitely. They are heavy, though, and their lengths don’t change – a disadvantage if your pet decides to chase a squirrel or the neighbor’s cat.
Nylon leashes have plenty of plusses – they are reasonably priced, come in myriad colors and prints, and most can be popped into the washing machine for a quick clean-up. Their light weight means they can be easily folded and tossed into a tote for traveling.
This material is classic for a reason: it’s beautiful as well as durable. Care for your leather leash the same way you’d care for your leather boots or your handbag. Avoid water if possible.
Features to Consider
Additional details you may want to have in a leash for your Great Dane include safety measures such as reflective materials – a must for safety if you enjoy evening jaunts – or even Bluetooth speakers!
Looking for answers to common questions about leashes for Great Danes? Here’s what you need to know:
What are the Benefits of Walking for Dogs and Their Owners?
Walking regularly gives your Great Dane (and you) mental and physical benefits. Not only is it good for the cardiovascular health of you and your pet, but it helps in your dog’s socialization and strengthens your relationship, according to the Animal Foundation.
How Do I Train my Great Dane to Walk on a Leash?
It’s easier than you think to leash-train your Great Dane puppy. Start out by letting him walk on a leash with you indoors, and be sure to reward good behavior with treats, the American Kennel Club advises. Once you two are ready to walk in outdoors, make those first walks short, and keep the rewards coming.
Training your dog to walk on a leash is essential for his safety, as leash training will keep him out of traffic and other hazards. It’s also important for your own safety when on walks, as your gentle pet has more strength than he realizes.
As you walk together, you will want your pet by your side, not running ahead and not being pulled behind you. It’s also important for your dog to know how to respond to a “sit” command before you start walking in public spaces.
What’s the Best Length of Leash for My Dog?
According to the American Kennel Club, 6 feet is the standard on leash lengths, and for good reason. At 6 feet, your dog can explore without the leash dragging.
How Should I Care for My Great Dane’s Leash?
Nylon leashes can be kept clean by machine washing. If clips make too much noise, place your leash in a laundry bag before washing. Air drying is best, as dryer heat can add to wear and tear.
Wipe retractable leashes and chain leashes with damp cloths and dry immediately after with a dry cloth.
Clean leather leashes with a damp cloth, air dry for one to two hours and apply a leather conditioner as needed.
How Can I Prevent My Great Dane from Pulling on the Leash?
One strategy is to stop walking when your dog pulls on the leash. If the dog releases the tension on the leash within a few seconds, you can start walking again. If not, turn and walk in another direction and call for your dog to follow you. Don’t pull on the leash, though. That can be ineffective in training and cruel to your pet.
Choosing the best leash for your Great Dane will bring you and your pet more enjoyment when going out for a walk or run. By using this guide, you’re sure to find the best leash for you and your pet. Every type and style of leash – retractable, bungee, chain, nylon and leather – has advantages and disadvantages.
The ultimate factors in choosing the best leash for your Great Dane are your dog and you. Energetic puppies and more staid mature dogs have different needs when out walking. Likewise, if you enjoy running, your leash needs will differ from those of dog walkers.
Consider, too, the age and energy of your dog. An energetic puppy’s needs will be different from those of a more staid and mature – but larger – Great Dane.
Thinking about what would make the best walk for you and your Great Dane – along with perusing this handy guide – will lead to many safe, happy miles ahead for you both.